- 3 baking potatoes
- 2 white onions
- 4 poblano peppers (or 5 jalapeño pepper if you like them spicy)
- Vegetable oil
- In salted water, boil potatoes until fully cooked.
- On a cookie sheet broil poblano peppers until black; remember to turn them from time to time so all sides blacken.
- Once the poblano peppers are blackened, remove them from the oven and put them in a plastic bag. Tie the bag to keep the steam inside and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and add the onions thinly sliced into rings. Cook until they are slightly browned.
- Peel cooked potatoes and cut into bite-size cubes.
- Increase the heat and add the potatoes and an extra splash of vegetable oil to the onions.
- Add salt to taste – Be generous! – Be aware of the temperature of the skillet so they don’t burn.
- Under running water, peel the poblano peppers’ skin off and remove stems and seeds.
- Chop poblano peppers into strings and add them to the potatoes and onions.
- Stir-fry for another 5 minutes.
* If you like spicy food, use jalapeño peppers instead of poblanos. In that case you don’t have to broil or peel them; just remove the seeds and the stems, chop into strings and add them before the potatoes so they have time to cook.